— just busy.
I went out to Brooks Island! It’s an island in the bay that is notoriously hard to get to. I’ve been looking at it for 30 years and I finally made it out there with a class I’m taking. You’ve got to go out with a park ranger, and the fact that it’s surrounded by shallow water and lots of mud makes it that much harder.
It was worth it.
I went to a family reunion for my grandmother’s family. I have kind of weird feeling about them because they are very much a clan, some of them are fairly well off, and because my grandmother’s father and mother died when she was young and because she then married and moved to North Dakota, she was kind of cut off from them.
However, this reunion was kind of fun.
The family pretty much made its fortune moving across the continent cutting down virgin forest. All of siblings ended up stationed in some place where they were involved in milling lumber, from Vancouver, B.C. to the bay area. The talk was very much about trees. We talked about all the giant redwoods they were responsible for destroying and how the woodwork in the family home was pretty much heartwood redwood. We also talked about how much of coastal northern California used to be covered by redwoods. Probably a lot.
It also seems like other cousins had similar ambiguous relationships to the big group.
I’m glad I went because liked some of them —
Still here, just busy.
Rushing home, in fact, because N’s girlfriend is staying with us (she’s at a conference), so I think I should rustle up some dinner.
Anyway. The capsule summary:
- We seem to have hired a new person at work, which is excellent.
- I’m going on a field trip on Sunday for a class I’m taking at the local community college. The class is on islands, and we’re going to Brooks Island. I am very excited. It’s an uninhabited island in the bay that I have been wanting to explore forever, but you can only go on a guided tour. Really, I am very excited.
- I am very tired. I picked said girlfriend up from the airport last night at 11 (I didn’t have to! I volunteered!) which is so far past my bedtime I can’t even tell you.
- I’ve also managed to go to the gym 3 days this week. Pathetically this is a record, recently.
- I’m working one more year, but I am really itching to retire. I volunteer for a local national park, and as a volunteer they have all these really interesting free classes, on, like Wednesday morning. I can’t do any of it until I retire, and now that it’s close, I can’t wait. Also, at the community college, there are tons of classes I would like to take, many of them in the middle of the day. Anyway, it something to look forward to.
- Seems like there’s more, but I really have to go –
Have a good weekend!