This is a place to list: great books that you’d never heard of, and found in vacation houses; great books you’ve finished and left in vacation houses; great books that seem like the kind of book you might have found in vacation houses; okay books you’d heard of and did find in vacation houses. Okay? we’re off!
- Gondar, by Nicholas Luard — Quite lurid, but also surprisingly good. Lots of characters. Some sex. Historical. It reminds me of …
- The Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, about which many of the same things could be said. I doub anyone would leave it in a vacation house, because it’s actually really good.
- The Bourne Identity, by Robert Ludlum (I think). It did go on, but the premise was so cool.
- The Shell Seekers, by Rosamunde Pilcher.
- Anything by Maeve Binchy.
- Those books by Alexander McCall Smith (found at my mother’s beach house — left by who knows — perfact mindless summer reading.
- Sebastian Junger’s The Perfect Storm, found (but not read, sadly — not enough time) at Irish Beach.